Snapshot of round 21 of the NRL
Damien Cook of the Rabbitohs scores during the Round 21 NRL match between the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Melbourne Storm at ANZ Stadium in Sydney, Friday, August 3, 2018. (AAP Image/Craig Golding)
* Quote of the Round: "We were fortunate enough to have a guy called Artie Beetson at our club, who left such a big impact on the game, our club, and Australia, when it came to the first indigenous captain. JT's left a similar legacy to Artie Beetson." Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson pays tribute to retiring North Queensland legend Johnathan Thurston.
* Man of the Round: South Sydney hooker Damien Cook proved he's one of the most influential players in the game with a decisive performance in the Rabbitohs' win over Melbourne which included a scintillating 45m solo try.
* Stat that Matters: The Warriors have won eight away matches in the regular season for the first time in the club's history, a big achievement for a side for whom travelling has been an Achilles heel.
* Magic Moment: Daly Cherry-Evans cooly potted a left-footed field goal to sink Cronulla in golden point and throw a spanner in the works of the Sharks' top four aspirations.
* Talking Point: Are referees being unfairly vilified? It's the question being asked after veteran whistleblower Matt Cecchin announced he was retiring at the end of 2018 after receiving death threats during last year's World Cup.
* Judiciary Watch: Broncos - Josh McGuire (contrary conduct); Warriors - Sam Lisone (dangerous contact), Bunty Afoa (dangerous contact).
* Casualty Ward: Melbourne - Cameron Smith (foot); St George Illawarra - Paul Vaughan (ankle); Newcastle - Mitchell Pearce (thigh); South Sydney - Adam Doueihi (knee); Cronulla - Andrew Fifita (concussion).
* Under Pressure: St George Illawarra led the competition five weeks ago but have the wobbles after losing four of their last five games.
© AAP 2018