Latest News

Stormy Weather Predicted After A Warning Was Cancelled Overnight

South East Queenslanders are being urged to prepare for further severe weather in the coming days, following last night’s storm which sparked more than 340 calls to the State Emergency Service (SES).

 

Storms are forecast to arrive on the Sunshine Coast again on Tuesday, after a severe storm warning was issued and then cancelled late on Monday.

 

Minister for Fire and Emergency Services Craig Crawford said on Monday that more than 150 SES callouts were to the worst-hit Logan area.

 

“We have dedicated SES volunteers on the ground working as quickly as possible to help wherever they can - cleaning up fallen trees and debris, and repairing damage to buildings,” Mr Crawford said.

 

“It has been a significant clean-up effort so far, and we thank everyone involved for their hard work in very hot and challenging conditions.”

 

Mr Crawford said the South East may not have seen the last of the severe weather, with more storms tipped to be on the way in the coming week.

 

“It’s very important people don’t underestimate the damage severe weather systems can do,” Mr Crawford said.

 

“The storms last night (Sunday night) produced dangerous, gusty winds that turned everyday objects into projectiles.

 

“I’m urging everyone to this afternoon move or tie down any loose items, including trampolines, outdoor furniture, dog kennels, bikes and outdoor equipment.”

 

Mr Crawford said residents should also be clearing the gutters on their homes to prevent or minimise roof damage.

 

“Last night’s (Sunday night's) wind may have blown debris into gutters blocking pipes so it’s a great idea to check your gutters ahead of further storms in the coming days,” he said.

 

“And when storms do approach, don’t go outside unnecessarily - instead seek shelter and wait it out.”

 

For SES assistance call 132 500, visit the 132500 website or use the SES Assistance app.

 

For life threatening emergencies always call Triple Zero (000).

CC 2.0