The weather bureau has issued a Severe Weather Warning for HEAVY, LOCALLY INTENSE RAINFALL.
It is for people in parts of the Wide Bay and Burnett, Darling Downs and Granite Belt and Southeast Coast Forecast Districts.
HEAVY, LOCALLY INTENSE RAINFALL IS FORECAST TO CONTINUE NORTH OF BRISBANE TODAY.
Weather Situation: A surface trough over southeast Queensland is expected to sharpen today, then gradually move north overnight tonight, potentially deepening into a low pressure system around Hervey Bay. This system is forecast to move away from Queensland’s east coast during Wednesday, clearing all severe weather by the afternoon or evening.
HEAVY RAINFALL which may lead to FLASH FLOODING is forecast for areas of southeast Queensland north of about Dalby and Redcliffe, and east of Dalby, Gayndah to Bundaberg. Six-hourly rainfall totals between 80 mm to 150 mm are likely.
Locally INTENSE RAINFALL which may lead to DANGEROUS AND LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODING is also possible with six-hourly rainfall totals between 150 mm to 250 mm.
A separate Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued if very dangerous thunderstorms with intense rainfall are detected.
A Flood Watch and various Flood Warnings are current, please refer to www.bom.gov.au/qld/warnings/ for more information.
Locations which may be affected include Maroochydore, Gympie, Bundaberg, Kingaroy, Caboolture and Redcliffe.
209 mm of rainfall in 6 hours to 9:52 am was recorded at Upper Caboolture.
187 mm of rainfall in 6 hours to 11:04 am was recorded at Bells Creek South.
Emergency services advise people to:
- If you have children make sure they are with you or an adult you trust.
- Park your car undercover away from trees.
- Close doors and windows.
- Keep asthma medications close by. Storms and wind can trigger asthma attacks.
- Charge mobile phones and power banks in case the power goes out.
- Put your pets somewhere safe and make sure they can be identified in case they get lost.
- Do not drive now unless you have to because conditions are dangerous.
- Tell friends, family and neighbours in the area.
- Go inside a strong building now. Stay inside until the storm has passed.
The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 5:00 pm AEST Tuesday.