A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Southeast Queensland for heavy rainfall, damaging winds and large hailstones, affecting parts of Gympie, Sunshine Coast, Noosa and Moreton Bay Council Areas.
Strongest and most impactful severe thunderstorm approaching Gympie and Mt Kanigan.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 3:00 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Brisbane CBD, Strathpine, Redcliffe, northern Bribie Island, the area northeast of Kingaroy, Murwillumbah(NSW) and the area northwest of Toowoomba.
They are forecast to affect Toowoomba, the area southwest of Gympie and the ranges between Gympie and Murgon by 3:30 pm and Logan Central, Cleveland and Gympie by 4:00 pm.
Heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding, damaging winds and large hailstones are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.