A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for South East Queensland for large hailstones and damaging winds.
People in parts of Gympie, Sunshine Coast and Moreton Bay Council Areas may be affected.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:40 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near the area south of Biggenden. These thunderstorms are moving towards the northeast. They are forecast to affect Beerburrum by 4:55 pm and the area southwest of Caloundra by 5:10 pm.
Large hailstones and damaging winds are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:15 pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for parts of the Wide Bay and Burnett and Southeast Coast districts.