A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Rainbow Beach and surrounds.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns severe thunderstorms could form over the next several hours, and are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area.
Locations which may be affected include Gympie, Cooroy, Imbil, Nambour and Rainbow Beach.
If severe thunderstorms do develop in the region, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 1:05 pm.